On Fridays, We Wear Pink

Carle Place Key Club wearing pink and handing out pink ribbons.

Hana Zhang, Editor-In-Chief

Carle Place Key Club honored Breast Cancer Awareness Month by inviting students to wear pink on Friday, October 8th, and handing out pink ribbons in the lobby of the school.

Alyssa Persandi (’24) wearing pink on 10/8

October is breast cancer awareness month. According to the Center for Disease Control, in New York alone, 16,892 breast cancer cases were reported in 2018. That’s roughly a rate of 135 per every 100,000 women. Breast cancer is the second most common type of cancer amongst women, with skin cancer being the first. In addition, 1 out of every 100 diagnoses of breast cancer is a man. 

The two most common types of breast cancer are invasive ductal carcinoma and invasive lobular carcinoma. Invasive ductal carcinoma is when the cancer cells begin in the ducts and can spread to other parts of the breast. Invasive lobular carcinoma is when the cancer begins in the lobules and then can spread out from there. (CDC)

In 2019, the Carle Place Key Club invited a nurse from the Winthrop Hospital to share about common warning signs of breast cancer. The nurse emphasized the importance of doing self check-ups. The warning signs to look out for are:

New lump forming in the breast or armpit

Part of the breast thickening or swelling

Irritation of skin on the breast

Redness or flaky skin around the breast

Any pain of the breast

Even young people have to do self check-ups! Catch the cancer symptoms early on so cancer can be more efficiently treated.

Mrs. Gisondi, an English teacher here at Carle Place, is a two-time breast cancer survivor. Mrs. Gisondi was diagnosed 12 years ago with Stage 1 breast cancer in 2009, and again in 2017. Despite her having to undergo 8 surgeries, she always maintained a positive mindset. For instance, when she had to do radiology for a consecutive month, she always went right after school, and never missed a day of work. Mrs. Gisondi stayed strong so her students could still see her every school day, and did not let breast cancer control and dictate her life. Mrs. Gisondi acts as an inspiration for all of her students, friends, and family. Her experience teaches a strong message of perseverance and the importance of keeping a positive attitude and outlook on life.

Mrs. Gisondi wearing a “Find a Cure” sash

Many Carle Place sports teams have breast cancer awareness jerseys or have games where they wear pink.

Football and Cheerleading with pink accents
Volleyball’s “Dig Pink” game
Field Hockey – “Together, we drive out cancer!”