The Return of Sports

Ever since the Lock down back in March, all in school sports have been put on hold. It was only until this January that bowling was offered again for students. With the winter sport season having just started in January, the athletic department managed to fight for certain sports to be brought back for the rest of the season. These sports include girls and boys basketball and boys wrestling. The High school wrestling and basketball season has just started February 1st and will end on February 27th and the middle school Girls basketball and Boys wrestling have started on February 8th and will conclude on the 16th of March. After almost a month of playing, bowling will finish up their season on the 11th of February The winter season has been shortened resulting in a season of only 4 weeks.

With the new Covid-19 guidelines, many changes to the games have been made. For bowling, it has been arranged so that each school will occupy two lanes, separated from each other rather than two teams on two lanes. Basketball and wrestling have been drastically changed and now require for masks to be on at all times including during practices and games. All practices for these sports have social distancing rules where students will practice mostly individually. Because of the shortened seasons and the new regulations, there will be no more tournaments for these sports. Students have also been restricted from using the locker rooms during practices and games.

Coaches have a huge responsibility to constantly reinforce the new regulations to prevent any spread of Covid-19 throughout the teams. The coaches will administrate periodic temperature checks on the students. Coaches and students both have to be very aware for if they start to feel symptoms so that the rest of the teams doesn’t get infected. Hopefully we continue to find safe ways to make school fun and bring things back to normal.